The port triggering feature is used basically for gaming and internet apps.
The port forwarding rule for inbound doesn’t remain active forever and it gets active only when triggered by specific outbound packets.
Once triggered, the inbound packets will transfer to the computer that causes the trigger.
The main difference between the port forwarding and the port triggering is:
- Port triggering can be used by any computer but the only one can use it at a time.
- Port forwarding is meant for the single computer on the network.
- Port triggering doesn’t require the IP address of your computer to be known manually. It will be captured automatically.
- Port forwarding requires an IP address that must be specified by you. The IP address, in this case, doesn’t change.
- Port triggering requires outbound traffic to open for inbound ports. These ports automatically close after no activity reported.
- Port forwarding remains active even if no activity is reported forthe last hour.
Configuring the port triggering:
- Open a web browser and enter www.mywifiext.net default login or the IP address in the address bar.
- Enter the username ‘Admin’ and password ‘Password’. Tap ‘Ok’ to confirm. Select ‘Advanced’ followed by ‘Port triggering’.
- In the port triggering timeout field, enter ‘20’.
- Tap ‘Add a service’.
- From the service section of the screen, enter the details of your outbound packet. These packets will lead to port triggering.
- Enter the unique name in the service name field.
- In the service user drop-down menu, select ‘Any’. It means if any computer is connected to the network, port triggering will auto-enable.
- If you want to allow a single computer for port triggering, then enter the IP address of that particular PC.
- Select the service type and select the port number for the outbound packets. Like for example TCP, 45.
- Tap ‘Apply’.
This is how you configure port triggering on Netgear router using the default smart wizard. Yes, if you want to setup the Netgear extender, then you can go to www.mywifiext.net new extender setup link and read on-screen instructions.